Hey everyone! So I decided to try something new a few weekends ago when we had a couple of friends over for dinner, drinks, and card games (Cards Against Humanity, Uno, and The Oregon Trail card game). I looked up chicken recipes and came across this online. I don’t remember exactly where I got the recipe, but I thought I’d re-post it so that everyone could enjoy it like we did! And like I said before, I’m not above using rice from a box or using frozen veggies or canned food. The key is getting the most flavor that you can out of EVERYTHING you cook. Enjoy!
Stuffed Cajun Chicken Breast
4 chicken breasts, butterflied
1/4 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
Fresh mushrooms, sliced (about a cup)
shredded pepper jack cheese
Cajun seasoning (Louisiana Cajun seasoning is what I used)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Put some olive oil in a pan on medium-high. Sauté the green and red peppers, onion, and mushrooms in the olive oil until cooked through and the onions are slightly transparent.
- Butterfly the chicken and place a pinch of shredded pepper jack cheese on one side of the chicken. Add a spoonful of the bell pepper, onion, and mushroom mixture. Top with another pinch of pepper jack cheese.
- Fold the chicken breast over and secure by putting toothpicks at an angle around the chicken where the edges of the butterflied chicken meet.
- Place the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish and season with Cajun seasoning. Once the chicken breasts are covered, top each one with a knob of Irish butter.
- Bake the chicken breasts for between 30 and 40 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Serve with Zatarain’s Dirty Rice (yes, from a box) and top the chicken with the leftover peppers, onions, and mushrooms if you would like.